Jun 22, 2010

Back at it

This morning's weight? 276.6 pounds. Down almost four pounds.

I received a comment from a friend on yesterday's post about be skeptical of programs such as this one where you lose weight quickly. I understand the concern. I've seen studies on these type of programs and understand they have a certain amount of risk.

When I did my protein program beginning in December of 2006 I was able to go from 320 to 260 and was able to maintain it through mid 2009 when I just became unfocused.

For those of us that have suffered from being overweight and have tried things that have been successful and things that haven't been, it might be hard for those that have never dealt with weight struggles to understand.

While they're are risks to doing dramatic weight loss programs, there is also a risk with being overweight and obese. I'm not sure which is the bigger risk.

Thanks for the comment.

1 comment:

ldfs said...

Glad to read the good news about your progress.

Just to give you a bit more background on my comment -- although I'm fortunate in that I've never had to deal with extreme obesity, I definitely have some experience battling weight. There was a point in my life when I was significantly overweight -- I was up to at least 180lbs (I don't know exactly, because I refused to actually look at the scale. When I went to the doctor, I'd get on with my back to the readout so I couldn't see it.) which is hefty for someone who is not quite 5'3". It took me a while to figure out what I needed to change and how, but I did lose about 40 lbs over the course of a year or so and have maintained that, within about 5 lbs, ever since. The maintenance is by FAR harder for me than losing the weight actually was. It was great at first, because people notice and you get so many complements that bolster you. Now it's just day after day of trying to maintain your good habits and not give in to indulgences too often.

I'm fairly happy with where I'm at -- I feel it's a reasonably healthy weight (though technically still borderline overweight according the BMI), but I never made it to my goal weight, which is around 125. Mainly I think it's because I haven't been able to figure out what I can change that I am willing to keep doing. I think I could probably lose the weight temporarily, but I'd only gain it back unless I can figure out something more sustainable.

I definitely support you on your journey, and I'm sure you will choose whatever is right for you. I admire your determination.